G20 Summit 2023: Sikkim
We are excited to announce that Sikkim will host the upcoming G20 event at Pakyong Airport, where 150 delegates from various countries will gather to discuss key economic and sustainability issues. Specifically, the Business (B20) meeting is scheduled for March 16, while the Startup 20 gathering is set to take place on March 18-19, which will be held in the picturesque city of Gangtok. Sikkim gears up for G20, as it highlights the state’s commitment to promoting sustainable development and global cooperation.
G20 B20 Summit 2023: Real-Time Updates
March 15, 2023:
- 31 delegates from various nations arrived in Sikkim for the G20 Business 20 (B20) Summit 2023.
- The delegates include representatives from G20 countries, as well as representatives from Bhutan, Nepal, and Bangladesh.
- The delegates were welcomed at Greenfield Airport, Pakyong by various government officials, including Ms. Namrata Thapa IAS, Secretary IPR Department.
- 15 Sikkim ethnic groups performed a grand customary welcome at Greenfield Airport.
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is optimistic about investments coming to Sikkim after the two G20 events being hosted in Gangtok. CII senior advisor (Northeastern States & UTs), Brig. (retd) Ashis Bhattacharya, mentioned that the sectors of tourism, organic farming, pharma, and hospitality in Sikkim are attractive for investment and partnerships. CII acts as a bridge between the government and industries, and Bhattacharya said that the organization will follow up on the commitments made by investors during the G20 events. During the B20 summit held in Aizwal earlier this month, about Rs. 200 crore was promised as investment.
March 16, 2023:
- 🔎 Sikkim CM aims for “globalization of locals” instead of “localization of globals.”
- 🌿 Sikkim proposes a new framework for fully-owned or joint ventures with a focus on technology transfer, raw materials, infrastructure, expertise provision, finance, marketing, value chains, and R&D.
- 🌱 CM Golay emphasizes the need for green technology to increase productivity and yield in limited farmlands.
- 💊 Sikkim plans to consolidate the pharmaceutical industry by attracting well-known pharmaceutical giants and diversifying their products with substantive organic inputs.
- 🌍 Sikkim highlights the potential for investment in climate change-related activities such as green energy, small and mini-hydro projects, zero-carbon ventures, disaster forecasting and management, and climate change-resistant agriculture.
- 🧑🌾 Sikkim calls for capacity building among new-generation farmers and training them on newer methods of organic farming.
- 👥 CM Golay urges delegates from B20 and G20 to invest in making Sikkim a green agroecological destination for the world.
- 💬 Sikkim’s CM calls for a reversal of the one-sided globalization process and proposes new joint ventures that focus on green technology, organic farming, and climate change-related activities.
March 17, 2023:
- 📊 Sikkim has received interest from investors for investing over Rs 1000 crore in various sectors including IT & ITeS, infrastructure, renewable energy, microbrewery, skill development, education, Agri processing, organic farming, forest products, and hospitality sector.
- 🌍 Countries such as Costa Rica, Norway, Sweden, and UAE have shown interest in collaborating with Sikkim in various sectors like renewable energy, education, and infrastructure.
- 💰 The World Bank will invest in village infrastructure for connecting the Siliguri corridor with better infrastructure in regard to Sikkim, with a major focus on road development and alternative modes of transportation.
- 🏭 The State government of Sikkim plans to implement investor-friendly policies to benefit the state stakeholders and investors.
- 👥 B20 conference held in Gangtok had 43 delegates, four Ambassadors, four Deputy Head of Missions, and two Council Generals along with 50 Indian business and multilateral organizations and over 100 participants representing the State government, Pharmaceuticals, and entrepreneurs.
- 😃 The delegates were deeply impressed by the hospitality of the people of Sikkim and expressed their thoughts of visiting the State again to foster global connections.
- 🌱 The B20 conference discussed opportunities for multilateral business partnerships in tourism, hospitality, pharmaceutical, and organic farming sectors.
March 18, 2023:
- 📊 The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) is set to host a two-day Start-Up 20 event, which kicks off today at Chintan Bhawan. With representatives from 28 innovative start-ups hailing from 13 countries, the event promises to be a dynamic platform for the exchange of ideas and expertise. This unique gathering brings together a diverse range of entrepreneurs and industry experts, all united in their goal to advance the global start-up ecosystem. Stay tuned for updates on the exciting developments that are sure to emerge from this stimulating event.
- 🌍 An event called “Sanskritik Safar” was organized by the Culture Department in Sikkim to showcase the state’s diverse culture to the G20 delegates attending Startup 20 Sikkim Sabha.
- 👥 The event was attended by the Chief Minister of Sikkim, Shri Prem Singh Tamang, Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, Government of India, Shri Som Parkash, distinguished Startup 20 Sikkim Sabha dignitaries, and officials from various line departments.
- 😃 Various Sikkimese cultural performances were showcased during the event, including folk dances and musical performances.
- 🌿 The guests were served gourmet delights made of millet, as well as other local Sikkimese flavors to celebrate the year of Millet.
- 🧑🌾 The event was held to honor the G20 delegates visiting Sikkim and attending Startup 20 Sikkim Sabha.
- 🏭 The event was organized to provide the delegates with a mystical voyage to the hidden paradise of Sikkim.
- 🔎 The event was a celebration of Sikkim’s rich and diverse culture.
📝 Summary: The Culture Department of Sikkim organized an event called “Sanskritik Safar” to showcase the state’s rich and diverse culture to the G20 delegates attending Startup 20 Sikkim Sabha. The event included various cultural performances, gourmet delights made of millet, and was attended by various dignitaries, including the Chief Minister of Sikkim and the Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry.
March 19, 2023:
- 🌍 26 countries participated in Startup20 Sikkim Sabha, which concluded in Chintan Bhawan.
- 👨💼 Dr. Chintan Vaishnav, Chair of Startup20, urged task force members to work towards forming the official policy communique, with only over 100 days left for the final recommendations to be taken up to the G20 Presidency at the G20 Summit.
- 🤝 Dr. Vaishnav sought support from all countries and taskforces for reaching out and engaging more stakeholders who represent the startup ecosystem of their respective regions.
- 💻 Efforts would be made to hold the upcoming Startup20 meetings in a virtual format so that international members and participants can join the global communication in the same virtual room without the hassle of traveling long distances.
- 🌐 Dr. Vaishnav also stressed the need to form linkages “within and without” Startup20 to address global challenges and strengthen the startup ecosystem.
- 🙌 Inclusive and diverse participation from the Startup20 task forces is called for, with Dr. Vaishnav saying, “The Startup20 is your engagement group. Make it yours!”
- 💬 Dr. Vaishnav thanked all for their active participation in the event and expressed confidence that the key deliverables under the Startup20 taskforces of foundation, alliance, finance, sustainability, and inclusion would be met to unify and harmonize the global startup ecosystem.
📝 Summary: The Startup20 Sikkim Sabha concluded positively, with Dr. Chintan Vaishnav urging task force members to form the official policy communique and to engage more stakeholders from the startup ecosystem. He also emphasized the need for forming linkages within and without Startup20 to address global challenges and strengthen the startup ecosystem. The virtual format for holding the upcoming Startup20 meetings will be pursued, and inclusive and diverse participation from the Startup20 task forces is encouraged.
Sikkim is a unique state in India that has made remarkable progress in promoting sustainable development and preserving its natural heritage. The state is the first and only organic state in India, with a thriving agro-ecological system that promotes biodiversity, soil health, and food security. Sikkim is also home to several ecotourism destinations, such as the Khangchendzonga National Park and Biosphere Reserve, which showcase the state’s rich cultural and ecological diversity.
The G20 Event in Sikkim
The G20 meet in Sikkim will focus on several key themes, including economic growth, sustainability, climate change, and social development. The delegates will participate in various discussions, workshops, and site visits, where they can learn about Sikkim’s best practices in sustainable development and exchange knowledge and ideas.
One of the highlights of the event is the field visit to a local organic farm, where the delegates can experience firsthand Sikkim’s organic farming practices and interact with local farmers. The visit aims to showcase Sikkim’s successful model of organic farming and inspire other countries to adopt similar approaches.
The Impact of the G20 Event
The G20 event in Sikkim is expected to have a positive impact on the state’s economy, tourism, and sustainability efforts. The event will attract international attention and promote Sikkim as a leading destination for sustainable tourism and investment. The event will also create opportunities for local businesses and entrepreneurs to showcase their products and services to the international delegates.
Moreover, Sikkim G20 event will further strengthen its partnerships with other countries and organizations that share its vision of sustainable development. The event will also provide a platform for Sikkim to showcase its best practices and learn from other countries’ experiences in promoting sustainable development.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the full form of G20?
The G20 stands for the “Group of 20”, which is an intergovernmental forum consisting of 19 countries and the European Union (EU). Its primary goal is to address major issues related to the global economy, such as international financial stability, climate change mitigation, and sustainable development. The G20 includes most of the world’s largest economies, accounting for approximately 80% of gross world product (GWP), 75% of international trade, and two-thirds of the global population. Since its establishment in 1999 in response to several world economic crises, the G20 has convened at least once a year, with summits involving each member’s head of government or state, finance minister, or foreign minister, and other high-ranking officials.
What is happening in Sikkim?
Sikkim is gearing up to host two meetings as part of India’s G20 Presidency.
When are the G20 meetings in Sikkim?
The G20 meetings are scheduled to be held from March 16 to 19, 2023.
What will be showcased during the G20 meetings in Sikkim?
Sikkim will showcase its expertise in organic farming, industrialization, and tourism.
What is Sikkim known for?
Sikkim is known for its unique brand of tourism, which focuses on sustainability and eco-friendliness. It is also promoting organic farming and making strides in industrialization.
What is the landmark monument unveiled by CM Tamang?
The landmark monument unveiled by CM Tamang is a symbol of Sikkim’s progress and development. The monument features an inscription that reads “Sikkim: Land of Progress and Prosperity.”
You may also like: Hamro Sikkim Party Condemns Sikkim Gorkha Jagaran Sangh’s Divisive Petition
In conclusion, the G20 event in Sikkim is a testament to the state’s commitment to promoting sustainable development and global cooperation. The event will provide a unique opportunity for Sikkim to showcase its best practices in organic farming, ecotourism, and sustainable development, and to learn from other countries’ experiences. The event will also help Sikkim to boost its economy and promote its brand as a leading destination for sustainable tourism and investment.
Inputs: IPR 19/03/2023