Sowa Rigpa in Gangtok, India
In a significant development for the traditional medicine system in India, Governor Lakshman Prasad Acharya laid the foundation stone for a 30-bedded Sowa Rigpa Hospital at the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology in Deorali, Gangtok. The Sowa-Rigpa system, also known as the Amchi system of (Tibetan) medicine, is one of the oldest, well-documented, and significant healthcare systems in the world, primarily practiced in the Himalayan regions of India, including Sikkim.
Importance of the Sowa Rigpa System of Medicine
With its roots in the ancient wisdom of the Tibetan people, Sowa-Rigpa encompasses a holistic approach to healing and emphasizes the balance of body, mind, and spirit. Its efficacy has been recognized globally, making it an important part of the healthcare landscape.
Laying of the Foundation Stone
- Governor Lakshman Prasad Acharya, who is also the president of NIT Board, laid the foundation stone.
- Ecclesiastical Affairs minister Sonam Lama, Health secretary Tshewang Gyachho, NIT secretary Pema Wangyal Rinzing, and staff of the institute, NIT board members, and officers from the State government were present during the ceremony.
Visit to the Site and Facilities
- Governor and the minister were escorted to the site of the proposed hospital within the NIT complex.
- After the formal welcoming and lighting of the ceremonial lamp, the Governor briefly performed Bhoomi Pooja and thereafter, unveiled the plaque of the foundation stone of Sowa Rigpa Hospital.
- Dignitaries visited facilities within the complex such as the NIT museum, library and clinic, Department of Buddhist and Tibetan studies, Sowa Rigpa Educational Institute as well as the general library.
- The brief tour culminated with a photo exhibition in the conference hall.
National Ayush Mission
- Organised by National Ayush Mission, Health and Family Welfare Department.
- Formal welcoming of the dignitaries was held in the conference hall of NIT.
- A two-minute silence was observed before the commencement of the programme as a mark of respect to the victims of the avalanche accident that occurred on Tuesday on Gangtok-Nathu La road.
- Governor Lakshman Prasad Acharya expressed his heartfelt condolence and offered his prayers to the families of the departed souls of the avalanche accident that occurred on Tuesday.
- He appreciated the coordinated search and rescue efforts of the State government under the leadership of Chief Minister, Sikkim Police, Army, NDRF, and everyone involved.
- The Governor spoke about the history of NIT and expressed his happiness on learning about the traditional system of medicine and the knowledge reservoir that exists within the ancient art of healing.
- While drawing parallels, he acknowledged the efforts undertaken by NIT and said that it is a matter of great pride that Sikkim has such an institute that works solely towards the preservation of traditional art and culture.
- The Governor further congratulated and expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on behalf of the Sikkimese people for recognizing and working towards preservation and promotion of Sowa Rigpa system of medicine.
- He urged everyone to forge ahead and work towards the achievement of greater progress.
Message from the Guest of Honour
- Guest of honor Sonam Lama expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on behalf of the Government of Sikkim. He acknowledged the Prime Minister’s vision and guidance in promoting the traditional medicine system of Sowa Rigpa in the state.
- The minister also conveyed a message from the Chief Minister who has extended his support and assistance for further development of the hospital project.
What is Sowa Rigpa?
Sowa Rigpa, commonly known as Amchi system of (Tibetan) medicine, is one of the oldest, living and well-documented medical traditions of the world.
Where will the Sowa Rigpa Hospital be located in Sikkim?
The Sowa Rigpa Hospital in Sikkim will be located in Namgyal Institute of Tibetology premises at Deorali, Gangtok.
What is the objective behind the establishment of Sowa Rigpa hospital in Sikkim?
The objective behind the establishment of Sowa Rigpa hospital in Sikkim is to provide high-quality healthcare services based on the principles of Sowa Rigpa, catering to the needs of the people in the region.
Who has initiated the Sowa Rigpa Hospital project?
The Sowa Rigpa Hospital project has been initiated under the National Ayush Mission, Health and Family Welfare Department, with the support of the Government of India and the Government of Sikkim.
What is the expected impact of the Sowa Rigpa Hospital project on the region?
The establishment of the Sowa Rigpa Hospital is expected to have a positive impact on the socio-economic development of the region by creating employment opportunities for local people and contributing to the overall well-being of the people in the region.
Gangtokian Web Team, 06/04/23